Dearborn Public Schools is again offering free meals to children over the summer of 2023.
Free breakfast and lunch will be offered at seven locations. Each building has its own meal schedule based on other activities planned for that building and staff availability. The meals are free to all children 18 years and younger or anyone 18 or older with a physical or mental disability. Children do not need to be students at the school or even Dearborn Public School students to participate in the program.
The district’s meal schedule is:
- Edsel Ford High, 20601 Rotunda Dr., Dearborn. Monday to Thursday, June 26 to July 20 (no meals June 29 through July 4). Breakfast 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. Lunch 11 a.m. to noon.
- Henry Ford Elementary, 16140 Driscoll, Dearborn. Monday to Thursday, June 26 – Aug. 18 (no meals July 3, 4 and 20. Meals offered Friday, July 21.) Breakfast 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. Lunch 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Howe School, 22586 Ann Arbor Trail, Dearborn Heights. Monday to Thursday, June 26 to July 27 (no meals July 4). Breakfast 8:45 to 9:30 a.m. Lunch 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Lowrey Elementary, 6601 Jonathon, Dearborn. Monday to Thursday, June 19 to July 6 and July 31 to Aug. 17 (no meals July 4). Breakfast 8:15 to 9 a.m. Lunch 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- McDonald Elementary, 10151 Diversey, Dearborn. Monday to Thursday, July 24 to Aug. 10 (no meals July 4). Breakfast 8:30 to 9 a.m.. Lunch 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- McCollough-Unis, 7801 Maple, Dearborn. Monday to Thursday, June 19 to June 28 and July 10 to 20 (breakfast only on July 20). Breakfast 8 to 9:30 a.m. Lunch 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- William Ford Elementary, 14749 Alber, Dearborn, Monday to Friday, June 19 to July 13 (no meals June 23 and 29 and July 4). Breakfast 8:45 to 9:30 a.m. Lunch 11:15 to 12:30 p.m.
Interested families can also find the meals available each day on the Summer Meals 2023 calendar.
Meals are provided through a special provision of the National School Lunch Program that offers all low-income students free meals during the school year. On school days, Dearborn Public Schools is able to offer free lunch and breakfast to almost all students in kindergarten through high school through the lunch program’s Community Eligibility Program.
Dearborn Public Schools did not participate in the summer meal program last year, but did distribute free summer food to students and other children during 2021 and 2020. Due to the pandemic, food was distributed in multi-day packets both of those summers. This year, meals are being served on-site at the school.